Oaklyn Elementary School
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Act
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Act guarantees a free and appropriate public education for all homeless children and youth. Federal and state laws make the school district’s responsibility clear.
A student whose family becomes homeless may remain in the school he/she was attending prior to becoming homeless for the duration of the school year.
If it is feasible, a student may transfer to a school if it is closer to his/her transitional housing.
The receiving school may not prevent or delay the enrollment of a homeless child by requiring proof of residency or lack of documentation such as immunization records.
Transportation for homeless must begin within 5 school days, but sooner if possible.
- All visitors must use the visitor entrance and report to the office.
- All clearances must be on file in order to participate in classroom activities.
- Please inform the office no later than 2:30 pm of any changes in your child’s transportation home from school.
- When absent, students must submit a written excuse within 3 days of the absence. Otherwise, the absence will be considered unlawful.
- Lost and Found is located in the school lobby. Items not claimed at the end of each month will be donated to a local charity.
- Educational Journey requests are to be submitted 10 days prior to the trip.